Sunday, December 11, 2011

Quick and Easy Place Mat Purse

As I was getting ready to mail one of these little purses, I thought someone might need a last minute gift idea.  Although I made these months ago, there is still time to get one or a dozen done for the holidays.  I view these as summer bags to take out for an evening or day when you do not want or need that 'purse carry all' that I seem to lug around when shopping.

Lace Edged Place Mat

I cut the place mat lengthwise down the center.  Then attached a piece of dyed fabric to the cut side. Fold it up and French seamed that edge to close it while finishing the inside at the same time.


Two Similar Bags made from One Place Mat

For the top of both bags, I glued and satin stitched the lace to the fabric, following the lace pattern.  For the aqua bag, I finished the last edge in the same manner.  For the brown bag, I sewed the lace to the fabric and then finished the last edge with a French seam.  Last, I inserted some cording and fastened it securely.


No comments: