Tuesday, March 12, 2013

First Two Chemo Quilts

This project started because I was looking for another charity project.  I have a good friend, Marti Lew, whose husband is a Pediatric Oncologist.  I asked if he would like some chemo quilts.  YES he would.  I tried to get fabric a child might enjoy.  For the flannel I wanted both bright colors and a soft hand.  Some of the flannel had so much printing, it was not soft enough for me.  I volunteered to make a dozen.  The next quilts are going to be a mix of strips and squares so that I can use more variety PLUS make them a bit more interesting.
 
Chemo Quilt - Tinkerbell
40" x 56"
 
Detail Tinkerbell
 
Everything was done on my machine.  This is the first binding I have attempted in a few years because of arthritis in my thumb joints.  I ironed and glued it in place then machine stitched it down.  I thought the decorative stitches might add a bit more interest for the receiver. 
 
This is my first attempt at a chemo quilt. The goal size is 40" x 60" and as light as possible.  No tiny piecing.   A chemo quilt has only 2 layers and is only fasten together enough to keep it together.  In this case I used a decorative stitch to fasten all of the seams to the flannel.
 
I designed my simple square design so that the fabric would be the quilt.  I used 8 1/2" squares in a 5 x 7 pattern.  It would also fit nicely on 42" flannel that I used for the back.  Wasn't I surprised that the flannel shrink up to 38 1/2".  Because of that, I invented a unique binding that would cover the missing flannel space.  Because I didn't have enough on any one fabric for the binding, I mixed up the colors used in the quilt.  I like the look so much, I used it on my second quilt. below.
 
Chemo Quilt - Bakery Treats
40" x 56"
 
Detail Bakery Treats
 
My second quilt went smoother.  The flannel didn't shrink as much, so I could use a normal size binding.  In this one, I stitched all of the inside seams down before I put it on the flannel.  This makes it a bit softer.  I then stitched all of the seams in the outer squares to the flannel.
 
Both are light weight, colorful, and hopefully comforting during a chemo treatment.

 
This is seventy number 15 and number 16
 
For more information on "seventy", please see the post below.
 
 


2 comments:

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Both are adorable, and very sweet!

Marti said...

They are so cute!! Ann, so happy I met you and count you as a friend!