Monday, December 14, 2009

Whole Wall Insulating Quilt

I've been dragging my feet on this project for months. The problems started while doing the quilting; the thread broke almost twice for every vertical row. Not fun to pull all of those threads and secure them so that they will survive the wash. When that was finally finished, it sat for a long time. Now however, with the cold coming off the wall, I got myself in gear [finally].

Nothing seemed to go right. Somehow I had made it 3" too short. Therefore I added a strip to the top. Because this is a sloped ceiling, I did special vertical quilting in the top section so that it would go higher than the support rod. Unfortunately, I did one of those "what was I thinking" things, I attached the top of the hanging strips, before I quilted the top. That made quilting the top really tedious [had to go around those pieces] and the quilting is not very regular. I would go larger or smaller to work around the attachments. But finally it was done.
Done is good!

Day View Drapery Closed

The best news, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! If I had known how much I would like it and how warm it keeps the wall, I think I would have finished it earlier. If you are thinking about making something like this, please persevere. It is definitely worth it.

This winter I quickly put together a support for the drapery over the hot water baseboard heat. Instant supports are made from odd pieces of wood and braced with tea boxes screwed into the sides. I had to either to make something to hold the quilt above the baseboard heat or close the heat at night. Options are nice.  This works GREAT!

This is a west facing window, so I know it will also be a wonderful thing to have this insulation in August.
Night View with Draperies Open

Since the wall is only 8'-6" wide and the windows are over half of the area, covering the whole wall turned out to be a wonderful idea. I'm really happy happy happy with the effect of this insulation on my little sleeping nest- desk area alcove.

Related posts:

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Me and My Buddies

When do you turn an x-ray into a quilt. When you are part of the FFFC group and participating in this month's challenge.

It is actually a slice of my brain. Not too much to explain. I cleaned out all of the labels, arrows [missed one arrow in this first fabric printing], tags, etc. I wanted it much lighter, with more yellow tones so I adjusted the color ratios. Then, luckily for me, the black ink ran out. I liked this print much better because of that. After printing it out, I flipped it upside down. Actually, it got flipped every which way until the Critters appeared. I didn't add a drop of paint or change it in any way EXCEPT I did quilt it hard to bring out the images I saw.

Me and My Buddies
That's a belly button in the middle. It is on the film.
This is not like anything I've done before. Of course that is one of the purposes of FFFC = to explore, stretch, expand, grow and DO. "We grow by doing."