Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Fern Ballet

Fern Ballet
33" x 41.5"
The 'circle distortion' was caused by my camera.  I would appreciate knowing how to control this better. 

Fern Ballet, detail
I finished this enough to photograph last year.  I entered it in Houston, but unfortunately, it was not juried into the painted fabric category.  I made it my placing real ferns on the black fabric, covering them with a flour paste, removing the ferns, and finally using a thicken bleach to remove the desired amount of color.  Now it is 'ready for hanging' in an International Quilt Festival of Ireland 2013.   http://www.iqfoi.com/exhibits.html
Removing the flour paste turned out to be a BIG chore.  First I hosed it down outside.  Then I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed some more.  I had prewashed the fabric, so I am uncertain as to why the paste wanted to stick so very hard.  Unless that is its' nature.
I do not always like my experiments.  I am very fond of this one.
It is extremely heavily quilted to bring out the dimension in the ferns.  I was lucky enough to find this backing fabric with 'fringe' on the edge.  I utilized that on the bottom.  I finished the whole quilt in a similar technique I used for 'Quinceaneros:  The Dance'.   http://www.quiltart.com/15/   That is, I turned the backing fabric outside to become part of the trim.  Then I covered the edge with braid. 
This is seventy, number 21.
For more information on "seventy", please see the post below.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Necessary Sewing

For a long time I have been bothered by straps digging into my shoulders.  Finally I have made a set of shoulder pads into a cushion for my straps.  This is not an original idea.  Just one that I hope will work well for me.
Shoulder Pads
I used satin with a Velcro closure to keep them in place.

Shoulder Pads in use

This is seventy, number 20
For more information on "seventy", please see the post below.