Saturday, November 22, 2014

After Festival = Necessary Sewing

Like many of you who attend Festival from 'AWAY', I am often challenged by the food options.  As a vegetarian on a low sodium diet, my options are limited.  Also, like many of you, I found the Phoenicia Deli and Bar.  Never made it to the bar.  You can buy beer and wine in the deli section which I take to my hotel room.  The Deli is FABULOUS!  My biggest problem was getting the hot food back to my hotel while it was still warm.  Thus, my first project on returning was making a 'heat pack' for my take out.


Correct Layers for Insulation

Layers:  reflective fabric [ironing board cover fabric] + reflective insulation [found in the insulated window coverings area at Joann] + cotton batting + my designed top.  


Outside View

Just because it is practical does not mean I do not want a GREAT design.  Not sure if this is great.  However it works for many dimensions/quantities of warm wrapping.  I just wanted to experiment with off-set squares.  Lots more sewing = lots more FUN.

Back Side

The reason one tie is a lot shorter is because it somehow got flipped into my stitching area while I was quilting.  The velcro closures have flexibility according to the contents.  The ties still allow for a lot of contraction and expansion while keeping the contents warm.  Unfortunately, unlike many in Quiltart, I have NO family background of doing hand work or sewing.  This is the result?  I could have 'fixed it', but saw no reason to do so.  It just reminds me that I am a late starter who is learning most things the hard way.  That is, I learn by my mistakes. 

A Very Warm Wrap

Pin Problems Solved

In 2013 I lost some of my favorite pins.  As crazy crowded as Festival is, it was not surprising.  However, I was dismayed.  Especially since I could not replaced some pins.  Found this vendor who sells attachment backs that do not come off.  Bought some.  Used them.  2015 will be the test.


Security Pocket Problem

I made these pockets before my first trip to Europe in 1985.  They worked very well except that the tie/strap I used was a purchased cord made of some slippery synthetics.  FINALLY, after years of struggling and almost loosing my 'pockets', I made a cotton fabric tie.  I know this will work a LOT better than the purchased cording.

NOW, I have my reservation + gear all ready for 2015.  Will I see you there?

Friday, November 21, 2014

NOT Art

Continuing the conversation.  Just because the intent was to make a piece of art, that does not make it art.


Inspired?

I like the individual ingredients.  Some are both burned and frayed.  However, the whole is awful.  I make a lot of false starts.  Hopefully, I am learning from those mistakes.

Opal Inspiration

Pieces using burned and/or fringe that I do consider art

http://designerann.blogspot.com/2013/08/nine-patch-of-quakers.html

http://designerann.blogspot.com/2013/02/nine-patch-in-white.html

http://designerann.blogspot.com/2012/12/one-yellow-square.html

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Blue Rose

Blue Rose at IQA Oregon

This quilt started backwards from the usual way I work.  I started by creating the center of the rose, created the 'petal parts' plus the 'petal edges', then stitched down the background.  As often happens, the designed changed along the way.  Unfortunately, I have lost the name of the QA member who graciously sent me this photo.  Thank you  so much.  I LOVE 'seeing' my quilt in the show.  Could not do this without your help.  Hope I can do the same for others sometime.

Rose Bud + Center

Each petal section was quilted before it was attached.  This gave the body plus dimension I wanted. I used the black to further extend my limited amount of blue satin.


The Method overview

Sketch, Petal detail, and the rest of the satin.  I sketched the 'petal edges' in curves on the satin.  This way I was hoping to get as much usable satin as possible.  It worked.  



Blue Satin laid out on freezer paper

The rest of the blue satin was cut into strips, edged with gold paint, then gathered to complete each of the petals. The petals were sized according to the lengths of 'blue satin edging'.


Method of Strip Piecing on the Paper Pattern.  

I wanted the colors to get lighter as the rose grew.  I also wanted the strips relatively vertical.  In hind sight, I wish I had made then radiate outward from the center..  The problem was, I could not figure out how to do that and still get the color change I wanted.

All the Petals pieced, then ironed on the freezer paper for ease of turning under the edges.  

Layout with Outside Strips Stitched down.

Now I stated adding the completed petal sections.  I tucked the blue satin edging under as I went. Then machine appliqued the outer edge. All of the pieced were marked with a number.  This was necessary to match up the satin with the strip pieced petal.  Finally, it was ready for quilting.  Lots of quilting completed my project.  I thought it was going to Houston after Oregon.  Unfortunately, I was wrong. 


Blue Rose
41 1/2" x 64"

Besides some unexpected medical challenges, plus necessary unplanned work, plus the endless hours to complete this quilt,  I had no time to make anything else.  Hopefully, I will plan better next year.