Wednesday, April 27, 2016

2 Red Squares

My guild, Kaleidoscope, gave a challenge at the Christmas potluck the second Thursday in December. 


 The Challenge

I designed my response right away.  However, creating it took a LOT longer.  I decided I would print out my design, piece the pages together, trace it onto fabric soaked with soy milk, then color it with my water color pencils.


My Original Design
I did not like this when it was finished.


Better Design
I still was not happy.

Final Design

This was frustrating because the corners where not turning as I wanted.  Also the red square on the far right was a bit wonky.  I un-stitched that one.  Then re-stitched.  Still not happy.  I appliqued the red square just left of center.  Like the idea a LOT more.  However, I am not happy with my stitching.

IF I were to re-do, I would sketch the whole design, do another soy painting, then try to figure out how to have the corners crisper.

PS.  When I first attended, it happened to be a potluck.  One of the members told me, tongue-in-check, "The guild is just an excuse to get together, eat, laugh and have fun."  It is a WONDERFUL group of women.  When I am able to attend, I always enjoy looking at the show-and-tell + + + the camaraderie.

PSS.  The colors on the Final Design are closest to the actual colors.  At first I did not like the variegated coloring I got with the pencils.  However, as I quilted, I liked it a LOT more than a flat color.  It seems to have a bit more interest.

Another Idea

Do not like the colors.  Enough for now.  Not sure why, but I am really drawn to this design.  Perhaps it is because it is such a challenge for me?  Not happy with it yet.


2 comments:

annecopeland said...

Hi Ann. I really like the design. Sometimes it is good to allow our designs to sit for a bit before we decide to redo a quilt. I once redid a quilt by cutting it all up and missed being in a great exhibit where my quilt was already accepted. I had thought it was not perfect, so I started cutting it up. But later on I regretted it as I looked at photos of it before I cut it up. I had done a good job and it actually had a lot of emotion and a story in it. It had been good. I just couldn't see it. So just let something sit and put it aside while you work on something else.

I know you have been very ill and I want to tell you what an inspiration you have been to me, for no matter how sick you get, you keep going. We all could learn from you. Peace and many blessings, Anne

Funky Diva said...

Ann, quite a challenge. I am not sure what I would of done. I do like the last design you showed the best.