Thursday, November 23, 2017

Book for a 1 year old = Kai

I am going to preface this with a quote from a recent Quiltart post.

Lorraine Edmond Nov 22 at 11:46 PM
"I belong to an art quilt group that has an event called a Showcase (formerly show-and-tell, I think). If you bring a piece to show, you sign 
up on a clipboard, and check one of two categories. One category is “I just want to show you this” and the other is for (respectful) critique. Everyone knows what the expectations are. Skillful critique is something of an art in itself, but if that is not the objective, better that everyone knows it going in.
Lorraine"

Thank you Lorraine.  Sometimes I just want to share what I am doing.  Especially when, at this time, it is not a quilt, it is also not a work of art.  It is however very precious to me.  Hopefully to the recipient also.

I had multiple problems with making this little book.  Printing problems were helped with encouragement from Gloria Hansen.  Thank you very much Gloria.  The other major problem was that I did not have a working sewing machine.  Finally, I do have one machine that sort of works.  Not wonderfully, but it will sew a little.

This is a little cloth book for my first cousin twice removed = the grandson of my first cousin Tom.  He is my closest communicating relative so it is very important to me to keep up this conversation.

I carefully cut out each page as exactly as I could.  [However as you notice, the end product does have a lot of misalignment.] Then printed the images after they were 'worked' in both Picasa and Paint.  I have no typesetting applications because the typesetting I had on my old machine was on a 3.5" floppy disk.  This was frustrating because I could only look at a page at a time with no reference to text size.

This was however, a labor of LOVE.

The page edging is longer at one end to facilitate turning/finding a page.
The 'loop' at the top is for carrying the book around.  This is similar to the book I made for my other 'First Cousin Twice Remove = Alex'.  

https://designerann.blogspot.com/2016/01/first-birthday-book-for-alex.html

However, I found a lot more animals starting with 'A' than 'K'.


Back page - Cover page

Page 2-3

Page 4-5

Page 6-7

Page 8-9

Page 10-11


No comments: