Thursday, October 27, 2016

Another Baby = Another 'I Spy' Quilt

My closest active family contact is my cousin Tom's wife Carla.  I think after 50 years of marriage, she is now my legal cousin.  So this family is very important to me.  On January 1, 2011, their second son, Andrew was married to Karen in Monterrey,  California.  On September 15, 2016, their first child was born; a 7 pound 13 ounce boy who they named Kai Cafferty.  This is the quilt I made for him.  Although sent long ago, I'm just now finding the time to post.

Hiles-Oster Baby Blanket [Quilt]

Detail 1

Detail 2

Detail 3

Detail 4

Because they live close to the beach in California, I made this a bit larger than the usual baby quilt.  It also has air as a filling, cotton flannel backing with very light 'quilting'.    All the seams were stitched down before the layers were put together.  I stitched the layers together with a multi colored thread, top and bottom. This will keep them nice and flat through all the washing a beach blanket gets.  I arranged them in groups of 4 so that it would not be a complete jumble.  The hope is that it will be easier to look at one square at a time so as to learn the names of the objects in that square.  Definition aids in this process.

Not great art.  Definitely great FUN for a child.

3 comments:

Andrine said...

A happy quilt it will be well loved.

Funky Diva said...

Ann,a baby quilt is always treasured. An I Spy quilt is much fun for a child and a adult playing with him or her.

Cathy Perlmutter said...

I think it's great art, as well as utterly delightful!!!