Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Exploring more mask designs

These are some mask designs I've been wanting to make for a long time.  However, when I was in a production mode because so many masks were needed, I did not take the time.  Now, Masks and mask patterns are very available around here.  However, because masks are more important than ever, I'm taking some time to try a few new styles.  

Still using the recommended fabrics:  quilting fabric on the outside; pillowcase/densely woven sheeting on the inside.  I am no longer making pockets for filters because of the 125+ I have given away, no one has used it.  I know I do not use it because it is all I can do to breathe through these 2 layers.

This Korean style mask is one I have tried before, but it was way too small.  Now this one is waaaaaay too big.  This is one of the easiest masks to make.  However, I did not put in a nose wire.  I added darts at the nose and chin.  Still not happy with the fit.  Obviously, this one is too big for me.  Do not like the pressure it puts on the end of my nose.  Without the dart it was be worse.  IF I see someone wearing one, I'll try to take a good look at how it fits.



Another style I tried was a simple rectangle with box pleats at the nose and under the chin.  This one is way too big for me.  Easiest mask to cut, medium effort over all.  Once again, this is too big.  Like the coverage plus the space inside.  


I started with this marked up pattern [black lines] sent by a friend in my sewing group.  All of the colored lines are different variations that I tried.  I took the photo on this fabric so you could easily see the problems I had working with this print which was printed wonky.  Of course I did not notice that when I bought it.  I just thought it would be a good winter pattern that could go beyond the holiday season.  Below is the version I made from the yellow lines on the drawing.  By this time, I have run out of colors.  This looks large, but feels very good on.   



At the very start of my mask making, the Olson style mask was one I liked immediately because of the way it seemed to fit people modeling it on line.  However, I could not figure out how to cover up the hole in the middle without a LOT of fiddling.  This mask takes the longest amount of time to cut + the lining is a pain because of the shape.  Those holes down the center of both the lining and the mask are really hard and time consuming to cover up.  I have tried pressing that seam apart and fusing a piece of the lining fabric over the seam and edges of the fabric.  I have tried pressing the seams to one side, then fusing a piece of lining fabric over the seam and fabric edges.  One thing I have not tried is just pressing the seam open and fusing a piece of lining over that area and not extending to the back of the mask or lining fabric.  I will try that next.  It is the most time consuming to cut out + + + lots of time to seal up that hole + adding the wire is tricky because of the seam in the middle = absolute hardest mask design I have made.  Still, because it has the BEST FIT, I'll try making a few more.

I welcome ALL ideas on how anyone has solved the problem of the hole down the center.  

No comments: