Friday, November 30, 2012

Golden Swirl = Possible UFO?

Golden Swirl
 
This is my response to Fast Fabric Challenge #75, "Falling in a Golden Swirl".  Unfortunately, I just lost the LONG write up and really do not want to do it again.  So just the basics.  PS.  These colors are the accurate ones.  I shot this under my daylight flourscent bulbs.  The chair photos were shot with regular bulbs as lighting.  Notice the huge color difference.
 
Hanging Chair with Old Cushion
 
I got the idea for the design while cleaning. My hanging chair had the cushion I made ~ 40 years ago. Then it blended with my colors; now it was an eye sore.
 
New Cushion is Too Large
 
After consulting with my cousin Carla, who makes beautiful home decor things, I was convinced I should try to put cording around the cushion. I thought this would really improve the look. Unfortunately, I did not try the cushion in the chair before I spent several hours making and attaching the cording.  Luckily, I finally did try out the size for fit before I added the back.  Obviously it is too big.  If I had not added the cording, I may have been able to smush it into the chair.
 
Old Cushion on Top of New Cushion
 
As you can see, not only is the old cushion a lot smaller, it is not even circular.
 
What to do?
 
 
Cushion as a Pillow

I am not very fond of this alternative.  I have decided to add it to my growing pile of UFO's so that I can return to my quilting for hurricane victims.  After all, they need bed quilts a lot more urgently than I need a new cushion.  I'm thinking that if everyone in my Quiltart group, made just one bed quilt, we could cover half the folks who lost everyone in the Sandy storm.
 


No comments: