Saturday, November 8, 2008

top down Roman Shades insulated and quilted

I just finished making insulated Roman shades. I used the existing professionally made Roman shades as a pattern. There are many different types of Roman shades. Because my original shades have the center sway and the side end flips, my insulated shades follow that style.

Original decorative shades in original location.


Original decorative shades moved forward to make room for the insulated shades behind.


Layers of fabric= ironing board fabric with metallic side facing the window, Warm company Insul-Bright, 100% cotton batting, muslin on the room side.


I quilted straight lines where I would put the rings; wavy lines in between. Straight lines down. Rings go where the straight lines intersect. Muslin wrapped around edges. Top shows Velcro fastening. Other half of Velcro is stapled onto the board.

Rings sewn at crossing straight lines.


The original decorative shades had gathers in the Velcro using string woven through. I simplified that process my simply easing the excess fabric to Velcro cut to the correct width.


Pocket made in the bottom of the shade in case I want to insert a weight later.


I used recycled 1x2 to make the shade attachment. Covered the 'show' side with double layers of muslin. Stapled on Velcro to the 'front' to hold the shade.


I used a staple gun and tack hammer to wrap wood with clothe and staple the Velcro to the 'front' of the wood. I hammered in the staples tighter with a tack hammer. I only used the 3 eye-screws shown because of the style I chose. I screwed the wood inside the window framing with 2 long screws.


I used all Warm products: Insul-Bright, cotton batting, metal rings, pull cord and screw eyes. Other brands could be used. These seemed the best available to me.


Photo shows the cording going through the rings [tied off at the bottom ring] and then up through the pulling screw eyes.


Both shades down = very warm


Decorative shade up; insulated shade down.


Both shades up.


Sizing the shade: my window measures 31" x 43"; I cut the insulation fabric 33" x 45"; finished shade measures 32" x 43.5" >>>>>conclusion: width is fine, however, next time I would add more length. Quilting naturally shrinks the size. Extra length would be nice.
Check out this link for a good diagram of rings and stringing method

4 comments:

just me said...

I think The WARM COMPANY would be very interested in this article you have written for your blog.

What a beautiful window treatment and so "Green" too.
- http://www.warmcompany.com/email.html -

Diana,
Anyone can do anything; one step at a time!

pcoxdesign said...

Nice job Ann. I may have to look into doing something like this for my son's room. It seems to get quite frosty in the winter. This looks like a great alternative.

alex said...

I think you should submit this to a magazine. Step by step instructions are so helpful. Keep up the good work. Alex

frazzledsugarplummum said...

This is super. Thanks very much. I will be copying it for all my windows as part of my Winter Campaign. At the moment I have just started painting the inside of the house. It is Summer here in Australia. I live in one of the colder areas..Tasmania.
Shirley